IRC maintains an HO scale railway at the University of Illinois, holds railfan trips and slideshows, and participates in train- and train history-related events on campus and in the community.
Brief History
Year Founded: 1959
The University of Illinois has long been involved with railways, with fundamental research on roadbed, track, and locomotives dating back nearly to the beginnings of rail transport in our country. One part of this is the clubs that have acted as a pastime for those in the hobby.
The first was founded in 1912 as the equivalent to an AREMA student chapter, the same year the locomotive testing lab opened. The Railway Club lasted until WWII when membership declined, all the way until the last member was drafted and requested others' help.
Out of this was born the original Illini Railroad Club (1943), which had a railfanning focus and was open to anyone, to the extent that Illinois Central employees were on the board. In 1957 the club purchased the Illinois Traction business car and became known for chartered train trips until 1970.
What is now IRC began in 1959 as the Model Railroad Club, building an HO scale layout underneath the Gregory Drive Residence Halls. Rumors of having to move were common and in 1977 the room was repurposed for a library.
The club began a new layout in the basement of ISR, merging with a railfanning group started two years earlier to form the Illini Model Railroad Club. The club was a mix of railfanning and modeling and would attend the train show in Urbana. Former IRC members were often visitors. In 1994, 'Model' was dropped from the name and a new version of the old IRC logo was created. The layout lasted until Townsend Hall was renovated in 2018.
After a year of railfanning, the club began a layout in the Newmark Civil Engineering Lab, this time consisting of 2'x4' modules. Standardized modules allowed for compact storage, move survivability, attending meets, and members building and keeping their own section of layout. The initial plan of five club modules was built just before Covid.
During the pandemic 'The Wye' was built, a three-quadrant diamond with tracks going in almost every possible direction. The club became a regular attendee of the semi-annual Cornfield Meet in McLean, and in 2023 started the Urbana Freemo Open (UFO) which is held at the train show and has since been sponsored by Athearn.
See Also
https://dailyillini.com/life_and_culture-stories/2007/09/11/all-aboard-the-model-railway/
https://www.facebook.com/IlliniRRClub/